A data management plan is a document that describes how you will care for data over the course of the research lifecycle. Many federal and non-profit granting agencies require that you write and include a data management plan in your grant proposal. Writing a data management plan enables the researcher to think about data from a holistic perspective, by thinking about questions and scenarios before they arise.
- What formats will the data be in?
- Who will be in charge of managing the data?
- How will you describe the data?
- What types of software will you use to analyze the data?
- Where will you store the data during the research process?
- How will you make the data sharable?