CASS is the Cloud Archival Storage Service provided by UCLA. Though supported by a team at UCLA, CASS is available to researchers at other UC campuses and provides a relatively low cost solution for basic large storage. CASS is described as a "Multi-petabyte scale service for network-based storage".
- Gathering data, source materials, and documentation; parking data for later preparation, analysis
- Offsite protection copy
- Backup (with CrashPlan ProE)
- Convenient, resilient, and fast data transfers via Globus
- Cannot limit access by individual or group
- Approximately $137/TB/yr ($0.01/GB/mo), minimum purchase of 1 TB
- Mountable file-based storage or block storage